Article Review


Impact of the home environment on young children

Modry-Mandell, K., Gamble, W., & Taylor, A. (2007). Family Emotional Climate and Sibling Relationship Quality: Influences on Behavioral Problems and Adaptation in Preschool-Aged Children. Journal of Child and Family Studies, 16(1), 61–73.

This article discusses the role of family emotional climate on behavioral problems among preschool-aged children. It also addresses the impact of the quality of sibling relationships on adaptation among these children. The sample used in this study was obtained from children of Mexican descent. The aspects of sibling relationship quality addressed included competition, warmth, and agonism. The main aspects of adjustment that the paper sought to predict included adaptation and behavioral problems.

In terms of research methodology, 63 mothers, each of whom had a child enrolled in Head Start programs in Southern Arizona constituted the sample (Modry-Mandell, Gamble, & Taylor, 2007) . Regarding education status, 52 percent of mothers had no high school degree. On the other hand, 48 percent of fathers had not high school degree. The research procedure entailed the use of a longitudinal approach. Trained research administrators studied the way emotion regulation had been socialized in fathers, mothers, and children (Modry-Mandell, Gamble, & Taylor, 2007). This required the use of separate face-to-face, in-home interviews.

In deriving results, the authors controlled for three factors; namely child gender, temperament, and birth order. Other factors accounted for include emotional responsiveness of the family, consensus between parents on how the child should be reared, and conflict between the parents. The findings of the study showed that similar to what previous research such as the one by Kramer & Kowal (2005) have shown, sibling relationships have a lasting impact on how children go through the adjustment process. These relationships were also found to shape the lives of young children in marked and meaningful ways. Modry-Mandell, Gamble, & Taylor (2007) also found out that very few researchers have focused on children of low income, Mexican-descent families in their studies. Therefore, the contribution that the article makes to knowledge in this field is of utmost importance.

References

Kramer, L. & Kowal, A. (2005). Sibling relationship quality from birth to adolescence: The enduring contributions of friends. Journal of Family Psychology, 19(4), 503–511.

Modry-Mandell, K., Gamble, W., & Taylor, A. ((2007). Family Emotional Climate and Sibling Relationship Quality: Influences on Behavioral Problems and Adaptation in Preschool-Aged Children. Journal of Child and Family Studies, 16(1), 61–73.


 

Get a 20 % discount on an order above $ 10
Use the following coupon code :
tpc20
Our Services:
  • Essay
  • Custom Essays
  • Homework Help
  • Research Papers
  • Argumentative Essay
  • Assignment
  • College Papers
  • Powerpoint Presentation
  • Dissertation
  • Thesis Paper
  • Dissertation
  • Editing Services
  • Review Writing
  • Lab Report
  • Book Report
  • Article Critique
  • Case Study
  • Coursework
  • Term Paper
  • Personal Statement
Order a customized paper today!